Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [FW1] Scary traffic - long

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 20:30:37 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Dameon Welch wrote:

So another question, is there some condition with UDP that causes an
echo-reply to be generated?

Unix traceroute.

Um no, unix traceroute sends out UDP datagrams.  Things being tracerouted
send back "time exceeded in-transit", not echo reply, with a "port
unreachable" generated at the end (hopefully).

_Windows_ traceroute uses ICMP, not sure what type, but I'd guess echo
request would be a good candidate.  That would generate an echo reply at
the end.  Windows traceroute doesn't use UDP though AFAIK.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280