Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

FW-1 installation instructions

From: Peter Mayne <Peter.Mayne () digital com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:37:03 +1100

Reading the FW-1 installation instructions, the "Before Installing
Firewall-1" section says:

====

Confirm that routing is correctly configured on the gateway, as follows:

a Send am ICMP packet (PING) from a host inside your (trusted) network
through the gateway to your router on the other (untrusted) side.

b TELNET from a host inside your (trusted) network threough the gateway to a
host on the Internet, to confirm that you can reach that host.

c TELNET from a host on the Internet to a host inside your (trusted)
network.

====

I'm sure it's me, but this seem to be telling me to connect my network
directly to the Internet to see if connectivity works. Is this really
something that is done in a typical FW-1 installation (particularly if the
internal network is RFC1918), or am I misreading the instructions?

PJDM
----
Peter Mayne, Compaq Computer Australia, Canberra, ACT
These are my opinions, and have nothing to do with Compaq.
"Good point, Kenny!"