Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: WORM file system for logging

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 10:19:20 -0400

Perhaps if you can tell us your requirements, we can
suggest something that'd match more closely.

Well, the idea was simply to have a tamper proof syslog (apart from
overrunning).

As far as I can tell, the easiest way to do that is to
have a system that can read from the network and can't talk
to it, then simply pull the syslog traffic off the wire
and record it. You could build something like that fairly
easily with a sniffer or an NFR that had the transmit lead
on its network cable cut. That's a good way of securing it,
but it does make it a pain to network manage. :) Hook a
serial line up and strap it over to another system so you
can tip/kermit in.

Anything but the WORM file system that we came up with has time windows in
which the data could be modified after it has been received.

Even the WORM does, really, if you're not willing to trust
the platform it's running on.

[...]
of the huge amount of information we will not be bale to concentrate
everything, the 15 loghosts will act as filters that gather everything and
pass on only the hot stuff.

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm doing a plug, but that's
another thing NFR was designed to do. :) Collect and reduce
locally, forward selected data and alerts centrally. The 2.0
release has all that stuff in it...

In the interest of fairness, you can cobble together a similar
system using tcpdump, grep, awk, perl, tpage, and sendmail,
and it'll work in a manner of speaking.

How many sessions can a multisession CD handle?

Mine stops working after 5 but it could be a software problem
in the driver -- I don't know the standard. :( One problem I've
seen is that the good CD burning software is windows-based and
it's all drag-and-droppy. I know there is some stuff for
BSD/Linux but I think it doesn't look like a filesystem
as far as its semantics. That's a tough problem to get around.
Peter Honeyman's group at University of Michigan did a lot
of work with a file store (kind of an NFRoid type thing)
based on CDROM and they had pretty bad bandwidth problems,
if I recall correctly.

A more workable model (based on my experience) is to batch
stuff to hard disk and periodically write to CD.

Is there a CD writer Software
out there that runs from the commandline (On AIX and Solaris)?

I'd also be interested in knowing about such a beast if
there is one.

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net