Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Simple demo

From: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 98 12:51:36

--- On Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:04:35 -0700 (MST)  Rik Farrow <rik () spirit com>
wrote:
Rik,

Thanks,
I was looking for something someone had thought out and this fits the bill.
I'll try testing some linux systems to see if I can do this specific
attack. This was exactly along the lines I was thinking, and it is nice to
know that someone else has done this demo.

--john

John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com> may have written:

I agree here, too, which prompts a question: is there some (simple)
attack
I can use to demonstrate that SPFs in their current form(s) are
(inherently) less secure than proxies?  IOW I would like to set up a
simple
demo to show that the internal systems can be successfully attacked even
with an SPF firewall in place.

You can do a nice demo using buffer overflow attacks.

Name: John McDermott
VOICE: 505/377-6293 FAX 505/377-6313
E-mail: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Writer and Computer Consultant