Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX bug, discussions (lenghty)

From: Euan <euan () access org uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:02:17 +0100

Now, having said this, we can start the war between application
gateway firewalls (which often rely on host TCP/IP stack for
defragmentation) and `stateful inspection' firewalls (which must
defragment).

No war neccessary... SPF/SMLI/SI firewalls need to defrag
to operate properly.  None of the ones on the market (so
far as I know) do so currently.  All AGs do, by their nature.
As far as frags go, AGs win.

Firewall-1 v3.0 manual, p350:

"Firewall-1 performs virtual packet reassembly, and does not send a packet
until all it's fragments have been collected.  The algorithm used is
stricter than the standard packet reassembly algorithm, and does not permit
overlays".

So it would appear that at least one SMLI firewall on the market does
defrag.  Of course this takes us back to the DoS attacks hinted at
previously...

-Euan.