Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: 2 proxy questions/ideas

From: Technical Incursion Countermeasures <lists () ticm com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:32:51

1] Suppose I have a TELNET/RLOGIN proxy that I can config to listen to
  multiple ports. Can I use that TELNET/RLOGIN proxy to secure other
  interactive protocols? Like POP, SMTP, SSH, RSH, or whatever?
should work since they are basically the same, but the TELNET proxy will
not filter for attacks via the protocls though - so it won't filter attacks
against your sendmail etc...

2] For those remote offices using congested Internet links, do you know
  of a proxy/tool that can act as POP client and server (in one machine)
  for many users? Preferrably freeware/shareware, on Solaris SPARC/x86
  (WinNT x86 can also be OK). If not, commercial stuff will also be nice.

look for something called fetchpop or similar. Basically its a little
program that acts as a mail client. Its goes and pops the mail from
wherever and deliveres it to local mailboxs via a set of filter rules. You
will need qmail or something locally to receive the mails from the
fetcher... If you main mailserver is qmail then you can filter on the
"Delivered-to:" headerline :}

Cheers,
Bret
Technical Incursion Countermeasures
consulting () TICM COM                      http://www.ticm.com/
ph: (+61)(041) 4411 149(UTC+8 hrs)      fax: (+61)(08) 9454 6042

The Insider - a e'zine on Computer security - August Edition out
http://www.ticm.com/info/insider/index.html