Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Denial of service

From: "Tupshin Harper" <tupshin () tupshin com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:44:12 -0700

There are generally three reasons for an attack:
1) Attacker wants to obtain information.
2) Attacker wants to obtain use of resources
3) Attacker wants to inflict damage on the attacked
4) Attacker wants to climb Mt. Everest(because it's there).

Number three is frequently overlooked by those that should know better.
Many otherwise secure networks/systems are susceptible to denial of service
attacks, typically motivated by number three.  Examples of denial of service
attacks range from crashing a server to using a thermo-nuclear device on
your ISP.

-Tupshin