Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Crypto extends 1994 'National Emergency' by Executive Order

From: "Stout, Bill" <StoutB () pios com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:26:05 -0400

Crypto News FYI.  Wonder how many people know 'National Emergency' has
been delcared (triggers many things).

Bill Stout

August 14, 1998
CONTINUATION OF EMERGENCY REGARDING EXPORT CONTROL REGULATIONS
http://www.pub.whitehouse.gov/uri-res/I2R?urn:pdi://oma.eop.gov.us/1998/
8/14/3.text.1

"...On August 19, 1994, consistent with the authority provided me under
the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701 et
seq.), I issued Executive Order 12924.  In that order, I declared a
national emergency with respect to the unusual and extraordinary threat
to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United
States in light of the expiration of the Export Administration Act of
1979, as amended (50 U.S.C. App. 2401 et seq.).  Because the Export
Administration Act has not been renewed by the Congress, the national
emergency declared on August 19, 1994, must continue in effect beyond
August 19, 1998.  Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the
National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing the
national emergency declared in Executive Order 12924..."

November 14, 1994
Executive Order 12924:
http://www.pub.whitehouse.gov/uri-res/I2R?urn:pdi://oma.eop.gov.us/1994/
11/14/5.text.1

"...I, WILLIAM J. CLINTON, President of the
  United States of America, find that the
  proliferation of nuclear, biological, and chemical
  weapons ("weapons of mass destruction") and of
  the means of delivering such weapons, constitutes an
  unusual and extraordinary threat to the national
  security, foreign policy, and economy of the United
  States, and hereby declare a national emergency to
  deal with that threat..."