Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PPTP Question

From: "Ge' Weijers" <ge () progressive-systems com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:46:47 -0400 (EDT)

My reasonably educated guess is that PPTP can be sent through a NAT router
successfully. The control packets don't seem to contain any IP addresses,
so I don't expect any problems there. As long as the NAT router can figure
out to which machine the GRE packets should be sent things will work.

The payloads of the GRE packets are PPP frames, and PPP (IPCP) can
negotiate any IP address for use inside the tunnel, the NAT does not need
any cleverness to handle this.

An MIT student project actually succeeded in proxying PPTP through a
Linux-based firewall, see:

http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~cananian/Projects/IPfwd/

Hope this helps,

Ge'