Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Detection

From: Gary Crumrine <gcrum () us-state gov>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:08:00 -0400

Well thank you Mr. Ranum, another world according to Marcus speech.  I am
trying to figure out where you are coming from on this one Marcus.  I have
to agree with Adam, that even if I only can catch a percentage of intuder
attempts using one of these IDS systems, then I have raised awareness, and
my security posture.  They may be clueless twits, but they can still bungle
into gaining some access, and could damage my ability to conduct business.
 Of course If my firewall is doing the right things, I wouldn't need an NFR
right?  But since you have so eloquently attacked in past commentary, the
very same firewall industry that you more than anyone else in this business
helped to create and dismissed it as irrelevant, I can't help but wonder
where you are going with this.  Let's see, NFR doesn't do IDS per se, so it
must be meaningless...hmm, now that must be some sort of thought process.

No Marcus, I am one of your biggest fans, after all, your thought process
has lead to my being able to feed my family, two cats and a dog, but I have
to say you are off base here.  Sure IDS is not the end all answer, it is an
industry that is still in it's infancy.  But to arbitrarily dismiss it does
not make sense.  The same can be said of forensic tools such as your new
pet project.  If you never get hacked, because your firewall was strong, or
your IDS detected and alarmed teh administrator so they could head it off
before any real damage was done, then I don't need an NFR now do I ?  And
if I am not willing to prosecute, or take proper corrective action against
bumbling insiders, then why record it in the first place?

The bottom line here is that there are a lot of tools out there, that are
used by professionals to provide them with information they percieve as
being important to them, or their management.  Use them if you want to,
heck build your own and sell it if you need to, after all, that is what you
have been doing as you worked your way through TIS, V-ONE and now NFR.  But
to attack other's products is not worthy of your reputation.
 Unfortunately, IDS systems seem to be the hot ticket these days.  Forensic
tools are not, and will not be in my opinion until the legal system has had
more time to establish legal precidence.  Business owners looking for tools
these days are going to ask one very important question.  What value is
added with an IDS versus NFR.  I can clearly demonstrate what an IDS gives
me, teh NFR concept is not so clear.