Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [fwd] Firewall Products: Many Not Ready For Prime Time, Study Says

From: Rick Murphy <rmurphy () itm-inst com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 19:08:18 -0500

At 10:39 PM 3/31/98 -0500, C Matthew Curtin wrote:
I think the real problem is in the way the typical MIS manager seems
to view firewalls: one silver bullet that you buy, drop it in place,
and life is good.  I realize not everyone is so naive, but in trying
to wear a consultant's hat for the first part of this year, I've come
to learn some _really_ scary things about the Real World.

I call this the "excusewall" theory. You put in the excuse wall to
avoid confronting the real security requirements. That way, when you
are compromised you have an excuse: the firewall failed. It's frightening
to see how many people operate this way..damn the security, full streaming
video ahead!
        -Rick