Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: executable content

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 23:28:53 +0000

The majority of customers I have encountered are concerned
with performance above all else and scanning for the embedded
script languages introduce noticable latency for an HTTP proxy.

Yup. ActiveX applets are supposed to (eventually) be
signed w/public keys. That'll be interesting, also, from
a performance standpoint. Certificate verification isn't
too bad, computationally, but in a full-blown certificate
environment* a check might require fetching certificates
and revocation lists, etc., ad nauseam.

I believe we have a problem here. The network is
growing very fast and the quantity and variety of
services is increasing even faster. I am not convinced
that any of the solutions I've seen (firewalls, signatures,
etc) have sufficient scaling properties that they're going
to be anything but short-term measures.

mjr. (*such as will most likely never come to exist)
-----
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
<A HREF=http://www.clark.net/pub/mjr>Personal</A>
<A HREF=http://www.nfr.net>Work</A>
<A HREF=http://www.clark.net/pub/mjr/websec>New Book!!</A>