Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How do you fight an attack in progress?

From: Andy Howard <achowar () erenj com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:36:22 -0500

I'm not a wizard, but would suggest the following........

The scan itself is not dangerous.... just rattling the door knob.  Some
Web search and indexing sites do this.... there are some legitimate
reasons to get the door knob rattled.

Now, if you start getting logon attempts... somebody is trying to pick
the lock on the door... that's not so good.  Your risk assessment should
address your several levels of response and that should be folded into
your Intrusion Response procedures.

If you don't have lots of staff but do have lots of secrets, pull the
plug.  The other extreme is to just watch and be ready to pull the
plug.  You could make elaborate areas for the hacker to go into and
watch, but most people don't have time.  Your management should be able
to give some guidance as well.......
--------
Grigorof, Adrian wrote:

Hello everybody,

As the subject line suggests, I'm interested to find how do you fight an
attack in progress. Let's say that your firewall keeps sending you
messages about a scan in progress or something similar. You have the IP
address. You look-up the domain, call the administrator that you found
for that domain and get just a voice mail or a "number disconnected"
message. Worst case: there is no domain associated with that IP address.
The firewall keeps paging you and your adrenaline level grows
exponentially.

So, how do you Wizards deal with such situations?

Adrian
Apprentice Wizard

--
Andy Howard   713-656-4396