Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re[2]: Penetration Tests

From: Edward Cracknell <edward () securIT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 17:27:13 +0100 (BST)

Brian Mitchell <brian () firehouse net> wrote:
brian >On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
brian >
brian >> > If you have tools, documentation or a template for considerations
brian >> > I'd be grateful. This will be part of an overall risk/vulnerability
brian >> > audit, which I have no problems with.
<SNIP -for bandwidth>
brian >
brian >Why give it away if you can sell it :)
brian >
brian >

Yes, very true, but I cross-posted to firewalls and checkpoint's alias,
and I have had the usual helpful replies telling my to use SATAN, COPS
etc.

Maybe I didn't give enough info in my first mail, but I have used these
packages many times, including Crack v5, Netcat, ifstatus, rootkit,
tiger etc.

I am really looking for;

a) a consensus on what should be covered/not in such a test

b) examples (papers)

c) news of commercial products, because I may want to take them on board
to sell to my customers

d) news of other (less common) packages that you can't get from every
wanna-be hacker or security experts page!! ;-)

e) I want to hear from anyone who may be interested in having their
products marketed by quite a large Security organisation over in the UK
to the financial communities (Thanks Marcus and Frank!)

...and so far I am really grateful for all the replies and information
which I will be following up on next week

Finally, has anyone heard on the Intranet penetration testing tool
Netech (I think that's the spelling)? It's an Israeli product.

Thanks in anticipation.

Edward Cracknell
Security Administrator/Author
edward () SecurIT net