Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Taking Testing a Firewall to the extreme

From: Dominique Brezinski <dominique.brezinski () cybersafe com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 13:58:21 -0700

At 05:26 PM 9/30/97 +0100, you wrote:
OK, so call this OTT, (and Marcus...stop me when I go too far!)

Does the group consider the use of Electro-Magnetic Radiation scanning
tools, keyboard taps etc. outside the scope of a 'normal' test.

I would not consider it part of a normal firewall test per se, but rather
part of network or computer security assessment and risk analysis. Having a
firewall run on TEMPEST hardware is of little benefit if the rest of the
network is not shielded. If Van Eck attacks are truely a justified risk in
your environment, then a majority of your information processing equipement
will need to conform to TEMPEST and specific physical security standards,
not just the firewall. Does this make sense?

I suppose one has to define what a 'normal' penetration test is, and
certainly it ain't the job of a firewall to cater for that type of
compromise, but more the job of the policy.

Well, it will be part of a normal security assessment if it is justified by
the risk analysis. In classified environments it surely is.

My $0.02
Edward Cracknell - <edward () SecurIT net>
Security Administrator

Dominique Brezinski
My opinions expressed here, and in any public forum,
are my own and do not represent those of my employer
or its clients.  I am an individual.