Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PPTP viability (was RE: Gauntlet & NTLM)

From: "Ge' Weijers" <ge () progressive-systems com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:21:33 -0400 (EDT)

Phil,

I am still not counting PPTP 128-bit out, but there was a mention of
performance, doe anyone have a pointer to the performance issues? I thought
I saw a thread on this list dealing with that.

I would expect 'impaired' performance for PPTP over WAN links, because
of the way MPPE recovers from lost packets. One lost packet affects all
packets sent until the CCP reset message makes the trip back. If MPPE is
replaced with something better PPTP speeds could be quite adequate, even
on heavily loaded WANs. That is, assuming the tunneled protocol can
handle packet loss. TCP can, I don't know about IPX/SPX or NetBEUI or
SNA.

Ge'

Ge' Weijers                                Voice: (614)326 4600
Progressive Systems, Inc.                    FAX: (614)326 4601
2000 West Henderson Rd. Suite 400
Columbus, OH 43220           http://www.Progressive-Systems.com