Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Administration

From: Rudolf Schreiner <ras () muc de>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:20:07 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Larry J. Hughes Jr. wrote:

[Firewall managed by ISP]

(This is not to say that any ISP is properly equipped to provide security
services and consulting.  In my experience the vast majority are not.)

Right.
I've seen some examples of "firewalls" installed/managed by ISPs. In most
cases it was a complete desaster.
But even if the ISP has the necessary know how there's still a big
conflict of interests: The ISP is mainly interested that the customer
uses the Internet as much as possible, because that's $$$ for him. I
don't think this is the customer's top priority...

Rudi