Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Gauntlet & NTLM

From: Craig Brozefsky <craig () onshore com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:25:20 -0500

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Ge' Weijers wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Craig Brozefsky wrote:

3.  The encryption is laughable 40 bit RSA WITHOUT EVER RENEGOTIATING
KEYS!!!!!  This means I now have tons of data encrypted with the same lame
40 but key, and because of all the encapsulation a good percentage of that
is known plaintext from the packet headers (IP/GRE/PPP/IP/TCP).  40 bit is
bad enough but without key negotiation over the lifetime of the connection
it's severly degraded.

The key is changed every 256 packets, whenever the low byte of MPPE
frame's serial number hits 0. All the keys are derived from the original
(MS-)CHAP exchange, though, so you do not get perfect forward
secrecy. The amount of data sent with one key is limited to 256 * MTU, a
couple hundred Kbytes at the most.

Where is that documented, if anywhere?  The information I read from MS
website states that the key is derived from the user credentials.  It's
pushed thru some permutation of MD4 and there is no mention of key
regeneration.  Other sources, arguably competitors, state that it does
not regenerate keys.  The draft itself makes NO mention of encryption, so
it is even less an issue now of PPTP, but more of MS's implementation,
drawing us ever further into the realm of hacks and tomfoolery MS has
called cryptography.

Craig Brozefsky              craig () onshore com
onShore Inc.                 http://www.onshore.com/~craig
Development Team             p_priority=PFUN+(p_work/4)+(2*p_cash)
I hear my inside, the mechanized hum of another world - Steely Dan