Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Altavista v TIS toolkit on Linux, which is better?

From: Chris Booth <chris_booth () leagas co uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:24:26 +0000

Hello from England, land of the baby killers.

Network is a small network of 250 addresses with only one domain name,
though there is a distinct possibility that another two may be added
sometime in the next year.

We currently only have a dial up connection to the Internet but we are
intending to change to a leased line connection through a router.  Behind
the router I would like to have a DMZ for a web server, maybe news, then a
firewall.

We don't have much money so I use as much freeware as possible, and I don't
have *any*  time.

Is Altavista firewall any good? how does it compare to the free TIS toolkit?

Is it possible to run Altavista firewall on Linux or am I expected to
purchase a Digital Unix box to run it on?

If I can run it on Linux is anybody willing to give a newbie some tips?

Is their a cheaper solution which is as good or better?

Thank you for any help.
Chris Booth,
Network Manager from Penagen Computing Ltd, running the network at:
Leagas Shafron Davis Ltd.,
e.:   Chris_Booth () leagas co uk
t.:     0171 528 8888 x253
f.:    0171 636 1119
s.:    Metropolis House, 22 Percy Street, London, W1P 9FF, U.K..