Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Facts, not Fiction

From: "Peter Vaterlaus EDV-Systemberatung" <edv () vaterlaus ch>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 97 12:01:54 +0100

Hartmut

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 17:16:55 +0100, Hartmut.Fehling () Hamburg-Mannheimer de
wrote:

Do you cascade them with other products with a similar function to ensure
that one bug doesn't open up all ports?
Or does everyone here at least use a combination of FW-Host + securely
configured internal Router?

There is not only the problem of a buggy or misconfigured firewall. There
is also the risk of firewall administrators, consultants and vendors.
If I have to protect my data (e.g. being a bank) I need at least two
firewalls from different vendors in sequence to assure that nobody with
some insider knowledge can get any unwanted access.

Two routers with two firewalls in between is therefore rather a fact than
a fiction if you have to keep security in mind.

On top of my list of risky people are: security consultants, security
administrators, system administrators, security solution providers and
their programmers.

regards
                                      Peter Vaterlaus

//   Consulting and Security for Networks and Internet

// Peter Vaterlaus            edv () vaterlaus ch
//                            http://www.vaterlaus.ch/edv
// EDV-Systemberatung         tel  ++41 32 621 84 21
// Werkhofstr. 52, Postfach   fax  ++41 32 621 84 25
// CH-4502 Solothurn
// Switzerland