Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Antwort: Re: Facts, not Fiction

From: Hartmut.Fehling () Hamburg-Mannheimer de
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 15:58:04 +0100

Hehe, nice try...

Bennet wrote:
Wow. If you leave out all those things, what's left?
Having tracked firewall-wizards for some time I accept the fact that the
"Firewall-Host" in itself is just a tiny piece in your security framework.
However, it might be a crucial piece...

So the question is: Is it smart to take the abilities of a FW-Host for
granted and protect the network / the connected hosts only against stuff
the FW-Host cannot protect against?

Example: I have an NT-Host behind the FW which is vulnerable to POD or
NetBIOS-Attacks. However, the FW-Host is supposed to filter out this kind
of traffic. How far can I trust the _current_ products to do just that?

Are you sure it belongs on firewall-wizards?
Hope this actually belongs here...

Regards,

     Hartmut

Dipl.-Inf. Hartmut Fehling
Hamburg-Mannheimer Versicherungs-AG
Überseering 45
22287 Hamburg
Tel 040 - 6376 - 3599
Fax 040 - 6376 - 4784
E-Mail Hartmut.Fehling () Hamburg-Mannheimer de