Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: signing applets a solution? Never!

From: David C Niemi <niemi () tux org>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 20:46:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Applets are a subset of the whole problem of trusting the source
of any application. Why should people be more worried about
running an applet than a browser plugin? Or a word processor
you bought at a store? Or Windows?

One of the things that scares me is that sooner or later someone
will hack the planet by getting a job working for some big software
vendor...

Gosh, some might almost say this has already happened, given some of the
security holes in IE 4.0, for example.  How many tens of millions of people
downloaded and installed it thanks to Microsoft's generous prodding, and
how many dozens actually loaded the hot fixes in the right order?

Sometimes the most diabolical malice is no match for a little old fashioned
negligence.  Which I suppose makes your point even stronger.

And forging of applet signatures would also be a nice way to give your
victims some peace of mind as they install your trojan horse.

David
Niemi () tux org           703-810-5538          Reston, Virginia, USA
    "Down that path lies madness.  On the other hand, the road to
     hell is paved with melting snowballs."  --  Larry Wall, 1992