Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re[2]: Firewalls/Internet Security - TNG

From: Rick_Giering_at_mpg003 () ccmailgw mcgawpark baxter com
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 13:19:32 -0600

Author:  "Wright; Steven" <SWright () v-one com> at Internet
Date:    12/9/97 2:18 PM

Edward Cracknell writes:
So, firewall development is slowing/stopped. Intrusion detection is > the
future.....then where?

Marcus J. Ranum writes:
Where next? I think that for security products to succeed, and
for
network/system management products to succeed, the two must >>become one.

I can do nothing more than ecstatically agree with MJR!!!!!

Steven R. Wright
Sr. Software Engineer
V-ONE Corporation
swright () v-one com

I think this is missing an important area, application and system level
security.

I know that the trend over the last 20 or so years has been to separate system,
application, and network security. But, I believe this has resulted in problems
like virus's, ActiveX, and the current abuse of http.

People have made a big issue of late that the network is the computer. If so,
then you can't have network security separate from system security. If the
network is the system, they are one in the same.

Next, almost all security abuses are application abuses. Why? Because 1)
developers are busy writing useful and "cool" code and don't have much time for
the security aspects of what they are doing (witness the rise of client/server
non-firewall capable web server management products ala Frontpage) and 2) users
don't care about the details (including security details); they just want the
"cool" and useful apps those developers are developing.

In the end, developers will find a way around any security wall either through
politics (wave enough money at a marketing type and he can do anything!) or by
using existing paths for non-conventional uses (eg. transporting software over
http like Pointcast, ActiveX, Java, etc.)

We haven't even talked about client/server apps that use RPC! I think they will
be the next exposion as vendors produce tools that make DCOM over RPC braindead
simple to implement.

My personal view is that security is a joke and will continue to be until
applications and data merge. Then, there are no "applications," just smart data
that can change and reconfigure itself. The network/system provides 1) a
transport and place for the data to "run/exec" and 2) the means for
authenticating users, systems, network interfaces, and the smart data's
themselves. This smart data also contains all of it's own security. This results
in security no matter where the data resides and no matter how it got there
(floppy, network, tape, email, etc.)

I know this view is pretty radical but I don't think anyone will implement
anyway. Comments?

Rick Giering
Note: These are my views and having to do with my employer.