Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: What exactly is a Sysamin/Security officers job

From: tlitney () kpmg com
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 08:54:21 -0500

     In a prior life I was a security engineer with a major west coast
     bank.  One of my responsibilities was reading the firewall and bastion
     host logs.  We used to try and follow up on every suspected intrusion
     attempt, even door knob rattling.  I would track it back to the
     source, if possible.  Then I would get the sysadmin on the phone and
     we would compare logs.  If they saw the incident in their logs they
     would then usually do the right thing - deactivate the account until
     they could talk to the prep's mommy.  It did take a lot of bandwidth,
     but I guess I agree with Frank, that it is important to follow up on
     everything. (Frank, hope I did not misrepresent your opinion)  It lets
     the kiddies and the black hats know that big brother is watching and
     hopefully they go on to less vigilant targets.  Yea, I did have
     contacts with the Feds, but in usually never got that far.

                                  Tom