Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Mac as web server (was: Re: Web Site Hacks)

From: chuck yerkes <Chuck () yerkes com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 13:00:00 -0500 (EST)

It is claimed, but unverified, that John Gibbins wrote:

We have someone that insists that if the Web server is a Mac then
there is no issue with security.  Although most vulnerabilities I see
mentioned are UNIX or PC specific, I don't feel completely comfortable
with this.

Are there any specific issues that relate to making a Mac web server
secure?  We plan to set up a Mac server with FileMakerPro databases
that will be accessed via the web.  No doubt various applescripts will
be added as well.

There was a long running "crack the webserver" contest run
(crack-a-mac).  It was brought down twice - both claimed to be a
derivative of the same problem.  Plugins.  Which, unfortunately,
make it more useful.

Treat the www server as though it has active crackers on it already:
 - put it on an isolated segment that can't harm any other machines.
 - run monitoring stuff on it like tripwire to ensure that data
   is not changed.
 - replace the data on it regularly from its staging server.
 - Don't trust anything coming from it (including database updates).
 - No apple talk (of course, it's on an isolated segment, so who cares)

Don't use ANY plugins; don't run scripts on it.

Of course this goes for any web server.  But Unix servers tend to
have better net/local security tools available to it.

- I can write far better perl than applescript (but still don't trust it).
- I can run tripwire, sshd and filtering on it.
- I can run my server in a readonly chrooted area (not to reopen
  THAT) - which at least keeps my scripts from EASILY grabbing a
  useful password file (for example) through a trivial mistake
  (ie. not a total script giveaway).  I still view chroot as a first
  basic security step, if only to slow down the inexperienced.

- Biggy:  If you get control of my Unix web server, you are not
  necessarily root.  Mac users are always priviledged.
- Biggy #2:  I can get remote (encrypted) access without allowing
  Appletalk.

No matter what, you HAVE to treat your web server as a hostile
machine.  It's been cracked.  Now plan for it.  How do you treat
the info coming from it?

chuck