Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HECVAT - Vendor Refusal

From: Blake Penn <bpenn () COLGATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 13:47:35 -0400

Jay makes a good point about 800-171.

Also, for everyone's benefit, I think that ISO 27001 is still very
misunderstood even after being around for over 20 years in its various
incarnations starting with BS 7799. ISO 27001 is a management
standard, not a data protection standard, and none of the controls
listed in Annex A are mandatory - they are simply controls that are
commonly used to treat cybersecurity risk. With ISO 27001 you get to
pick your own controls for treating risk whether they are from Annex A
or not. That is, ISO 27001 is 0% prescriptive about what controls to
use to protect data and systems.

NIST 800-171, PCI DSS, and the like are on the opposite side of this -
they are 100% prescriptive in that they lay out a set of controls that
must be used. If an entity is NIST 800-171 or PCI DSS compliant then
you know exactly what controls are in place. ISO 27001 certification
tells you absolutely nothing about what controls are in place - to get
this information you would need to examine the Statement of
Applicability (SoA) and the risk register. Also, ISO 27001 audits
don't test every control to ensure that they are all in place - the
audit is a test of the management system itself (the ISMS), not the
controls (even though several of them will end up getting tested in
the process of course).

Best regards,
Blake

--