Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What security framework are you using, and why?

From: "Foss, Henry L." <fossh () SACREDHEART EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 19:56:06 +0000

Hi Vince,

Great question and thanks for putting it out there.

We are focusing on the 18 CIS Controls. Here's a link<https://www.cisecurity.org/controls/cis-controls-list/> that
gives you the list and access to download workbooks.

We decided on CIS because the standards are reviewed regularly, and specifically focuses on IT Security. Plus it's an
international organization (vs. NIST which is only U.S.), and it is not restricted to gov't standards (like NIST is).

We have a lot of respect for NIST but find CIS to be much more detailed and actionable for our environment.

Thank you

Hank Foss
Manager of Security Infrastructure CISSP, GPEN, CCNA
Sacred Heart University
West Campus WCW*W3I302
Office: (203) 396-8279
Mobile: (203) 295-1356