Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Local Admin Access

From: "Madl, Michael" <michael.madl () INDWES EDU>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 15:41:55 +0000

Emilie,

The majority of users @ IWU do not have admin access. The MAC users [special group] tend to fight over having this
access and the success rate for restriction is 50/50.  We are slowly working towards compliance.  The key is
establishing university policy that is signed off by our Executive council.  Without that, any policy/initiative tends
to have zero teeth.  Explaining the security benefits sometimes falls on deaf ears when it comes to faculty but I would
say, for the most part, folks are on board after walking through the reasoning behind it.

Not much detail [apologies] but just passing on my experience.

MICHAEL MADL
CISSP | CEH | CCIE #10062 | ITIL v3 | VCP6-DVC
INFORMATION SECURITY OFFICER
UNIVERSITY INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

INDIANA WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY
4201 SOUTH WASHINGTON STREET
MARION, IN 46953

[signature_1118859215]<https://twitter.com/InfosecurityIwu>    [signature_423031255]    [signature_762320758]
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelmadl/>

DO NOT provide your username, password, or any personal information requested by any email.
IWU WILL NEVER ask you for your username or password via email.
DO NOT CLICK links or attachments unless you are positive the content is safe.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including applicable attachments, may include legally protected information.  If
you are not the intended recipient of this message, you may not disclose, print, copy, save, or disseminate this
information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
immediately delete this message.