Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Purchasing Drones / 3rd party risk assessment

From: "Martinez, Brian" <brm () MSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 20:16:35 +0000

Hi all,

I was recently brought in on an initiative our Purchasing department is
taking on regarding the purchasing of drones. We're currently partnered up
with Purchasing to screen and possibly further assess all technology
purchases and we have a fairly generic screener form that gets the point
across to us regarding general IT purchases.

With drones, obviously there are certain rules and regulations (and laws)
that need to be followed. Our University also has a university-wide policy
that must be adhered to. What I'm curious about though, is if any of you
have specific questions you ask during the purchasing process at your
respective institution regarding drones? If so, what are they?

Feel free to reach me off-thread if that's best for you. Or if you have more
questions or would rather chat about it, let me know - I'd be happy to avail
myself to speak on this some. I'm still trying to figure out my exact role
in this myself.

Thanks!

Brian R. Martinez

Information Security