Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

ATP vs. just Defender in lab/clinic environments

From: Catherine Ullman <cende () BUFFALO EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 17:08:13 +0000

Hi Folks!

We, at the University at Buffalo, have recently moved to a Microsoft A5
license and are currently working on rolling out many of the new features.
Currently we are planning our Windows Defender for Endpoint (Advanced Threat
Protection) rollout and have some decisions to make which we were hoping to
hear how others implemented this.  We have a few different shared computing
paradigms in which we are trying to decide if licensing the machine for
Defender for Endpoint is appropriate or if using just the embedded windows
defender from the operating system is adequate.  Some of these systems are
as follows:

Campus Public Labs:

These are VDI machines that are used by students.  The machines are
provisioned on demand and destroyed upon logout.

Department Labs:

These are bare metal machines shared by students located in a shared space
within a specific school.

Campus Clinics:

These are VDI/Citrix desktops that are used by students, like labs they are
provisioned on demand and destroyed upon logout, but process more sensitive
information than the labs.

Any thoughts or lessons learned from your implementation would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Best,

Cathy

Dr. Catherine J Ullman

Senior Information Security Forensic Analyst

Information Security Office

University at Buffalo

 <mailto:cende () buffalo edu> cende () buffalo edu