Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mac Encryption

From: Houston C Griffith <griffithhc () VCU EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 15:32:03 -0500

We're using Jamf as well with FileVault handling automated key escrow.
However, while that is very straightforward on administrative/assigned
devices where the relationship between a client device and an end-user is
always 1:1, I'm more curious how others are handling Mac loaner laptops
used by employees and/or students where the relationship is 1:many.

The best we've been able to come up with so far is setting up the temporary
account to force the end-user to change their password on first login. This
ensures a unique password for the non-admin user account on every device
that only the end-user of that device knows for the duration of their
device checkout and it's fairly simple to implement. This works initially
but when we get the laptop back we have to wipe/reinstall which is tedious.
We're exploring Nomad AD Login as an option but I'm not sure even that will
work for what we need.

My point is that short of a workable internet-accessible directory service
(LDAP, AD or others) and equivalent login mechanism on client devices, disk
encryption with FileVault seems like a complete non-starter for Mac loaner
laptops. To be fair, the Windows side honestly isn't much better and we
still face largely the same issue, although I suppose Azure AD could
greatly simplify that if implemented with the right options.