Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Desktop & Cloud Backups

From: "Menne, Michael S" <000002306ce3cd04-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 20:19:48 +0000

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2 and discovered that Documents, Desktop, etc. have been moved to the
OneDrive Sync folder by default if Sync is setup.  I don’t know when they made this change.  I made the change manually
on another computer following this by moving the folder locations.

It would be nice for Microsoft to go one step further and just sync the entire profile folder to OneDrive.

I investigated other solutions in the past, but since we pay for OneDrive with our M365 licensing, the need/benefit did
not outweigh the cost of these other services.

OneDrive has individual file history so we haven’t investigated the need to backup OneDrive.  If the entire OneDrive
folder is corrupted by Ransomware, I’ve heard that it is possible for Microsoft to recover the whole thing (though it
wasn’t easy or pretty from an individual user perspective). OneDrive is constantly evolving, so they may have now
provided tools to do this from an end user or tenant admin perspective.

Our Service Desk is responsible for all end-user assistance for things such as this.

Michael Menne, CISSP
Chief Information Security Officer
IT Solutions Information Security
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Phone:  (507) 389-5705
Cell: (507) 405-0717
https://mankato.mnsu.edu/cyberaware

[signature_494656716]

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and