Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DingTalk software concerns?

From: Henry Wojteczko <hank.wojteczko () CLASSEDESIGNUSA COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 16:52:10 +0000

Robert:

Chinese government sponsored cyber-hacks are very aggressive and highly sophisticated. I strongly agree with an
approach of a high degree of segmentation with zero access to applications that contain sensitive data residing in the
USA. Bear in mind that smart phones are also a risk. Consider loaning the person a tablet and flip phone. Have in place
an intruder response plan in preparation for the inevitable attack.

I have direct experience with an intrusion event from China during an engagement with a large corporate client. This
client had a policy of loaning employees and contractors a loaner device that was highly hardened. Persons traveling to
China for this company were not permitted access to sensitive data. Nor were they permitted to carry any corporate or
personally owned devices into China of any kind. In this particular case, I witnessed an intrusion attempt from an
employee’s compromised loaner device into the corporate network. The hackers did not get any data, but the intrusion
attempts were very targeted in a failed attempt to steal vital company intellectual property.

Best of luck.

Thanks;

Hank Wojteczko
Practice Manager – Cloud Professional Services
David Kent Consulting, Inc.
832.226.4432(m)
hankwojteczko () davidkentconsulting com<mailto:hankwojteczko () davidkentconsulting com>
www.davidkentconsulting.com<http://www.davidkentconsulting.com>

Notice of Confidentiality:  This E-mail message and attachments (if any) are intended solely for the use of the
intended addressee(s) hereof.  In addition, this message and the attachments may contain information that is
confidential, privileged or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not one of the intended
recipients of this message, you are prohibited from reading, disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, or
otherwise using this transmission.  Delivery of this E-mail to any person other than the intended recipient is not
intended to waive any right or privilege. Unauthorized use of distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you
have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply E-mail and immediately delete this E-mail from
your system and destroy any and all other copies.  Thank you.