Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

BYOD - LAN Access - Dated OS's

From: Blake Brown <Blake.Brown () MHCC EDU>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 18:30:35 +0000

Cross posting this in REN-ISAC as well as here so please ignore if you see it twice.

How is your college managing BYOD both from a technical and policy perspective for local LAN access? We are not in a
financial position to deploy a NAC currently but are exploring options.

Our team just completed a wireless refresh, from Cisco WISM to Meraki, and is in phase 2 of 3 of a complete L1-3
network re-architecture which should lay the framework for a future NAC solution.  Also, our Staff does have LAN access
when connected to the Staff SSID and do bring in person devices to "work" with. This is a conversation topic that will
be discussed deeply in upcoming meetings.

The primary question I have is how, if you are, limiting device connections that have outdated OS's on them (i.e. W7,
W8 devices) on your local LANS?

And if you do enforce this, for staff and students, what has been the pushback/fallout from the equity lens? How have
you managed that pushback?

Thanks,
Blake Brown
Infrastructure Manager