Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

AWS Security choices

From: Chris Davis <Chris.Davis () PRINCIPIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 14:15:45 +0000

I’ve asked this in another forum, and got some really great answers.  But I’m looking for a few more.

We’re diving into AWS and I was wondering what folks did for security there.  Are you all happy with the AWS Security
Groups?  Did you look at a more traditional firewall type mode of protection?   I know our firewall vendor provides a
VM that lives in AWS and can be used similarly to its on-prem cousin.   There are expanded threat protections, like
IPS, App Control, etc. in that VM based firewall.

Some of the data we’re planning to be there is critical, and needs to be protected with care.   As you can tell, I’m
not well versed in AWS, so I’m just feeling my way around.  (know any good resources/books?)

What are folks that are using AWS doing out there, security-wise?   Willing to share some info?

Thanks,
Chris