Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Emeritus faculty privileges question

From: Paul Chauvet <chauvetp () NEWPALTZ EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 18:50:19 +0000

Hi Frank,

It's a combination of me in IT, and our HR folks.

Though we don't use Banner for HR - we do use it for role calculations (faculty, staff, retired, student, alumni, etc).
 Each of those roles, including retirees, has a "if not deceased" clause.

Once that is marked (by HR) in Banner for anyone - they lose all roles (including the retiree role which allows them to
keep access).  When a person has no roles, the AD account is set to disabled.

P.S.  I'm both horrified and fascinated that Banner's field for whether someone has passed away is literally the 'dead'
indicator: spbpers_dead_ind = 'Y'

Paul Chauvet, CISSP

Information Security Officer

State University of New York at New Paltz

845-257-3828

chauvetp () newpaltz edu

[cid:dda11229-cfc3-4eac-a80c-babd142178b4]