Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Unemployment Fraud

From: Beth Albertson <albertb3 () WWU EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 23:14:21 +0000

Hello,

I wanted to check to see if anyone is getting a flood of fraudulent unemployment claims.  We have gotten as many as 25
a day.  If so, do you have any ideas of how to stem this tide?  I have advised our HR department to have victims lock
their credit, but I don't really know how to stop the problem.  I suspect most of the victims have their personal
information available on the dark web.

Sincerely,

Beth Albertson, CISSP(r), PMP(r)
Director of Information Security