Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Brief Security Defenses Survey for Upcoming Talk

From: "Kyrouz, Bill J." <Bill.Kyrouz () JENZABAR COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 15:21:32 +0000

Hello,

I am trying to gather some data on security defenses in Higher Ed specific to inhibiting lateral movement.  Can you
help?

My name is Bill Kyrouz and I am the Director of Information Security at Jenzabar and I'm putting together a talk
similar to one I gave in the legal industry after NotPetya wreaked havoc.

Below is a very brief survey on different security controls you may have in use at your institution.  Please fill it
out and send it back to me at bill.kyrouz () jenzabar com<mailto:bill.kyrouz () jenzabar com>.  The adoption rate for
each will be incorporated into the talk, along with an "effectiveness" rating from a well-regarded penetration tester.
 Please also note:

  *   Individual responses will not be shared with anyone else (even within Jenzabar)
  *   This is not about selling a product or service, it is about leveraging security staff and security-minded people
in this community to discuss what we can do to better protect ourselves
  *   If you wish to discuss this request, you can call me directly at 617.492.9099 ext. 65263
Survey
For each security control below, please indicate with an "X" in the Deployed column if this has been substantially
deployed (at least 30% of your network) at your institution.  Then in the Ease column, provide a rating from 1-5 on the
ease of implementation of this control.  Consider time, effort, cost, administrative overhead and any student/staff
resistance where:
1 = Highest Difficulty
2 = Very Difficult
3 = Moderate
4 = Somewhat Difficult
5 = Easy

Control & Description
Deployed
(X only)
Ease
(1-5)
Private VLANs
Network switches are manually configured to prevent workstations from communicating directly with other workstations
(they can only reach server networks).

Network Access Control (NAC)
Automated network isolation whereby devices are dynamically assigned to a pre-configured VLAN.  Examples include
Forescout, Cisco ISE

Microsegmentation
A different approach where automation is applied to the endpoint, limiting it's communication with other devices.
Examples: Illumio, Guardicore

Endpoint Firewall Management
Using an operating system native or third party firewall on endpoints (blocking peer-to-peer communication both on and
off-site)

Credential Management with Microsoft LAPS
Free Microsoft tool that automatically assigns unique Administrator passwords to all participating devices

Credential Management with a Third Party Tool
Management of powerful accounts using a tool such as BeyondTrust, Thycotic, or CyberArk

Block local account remote usage
Via Windows security policy, prevent local accounts from being able to access devices remotely.

Patch and Protect RDP
All publicly exposed RDP servers are fully patched, NLA is enabled, and RDP is either locked down to a small number of
subnets or protected by MFA.

Lockdown of "Access this computer from the network"
Tightly restrict the ability to access workstations through this setting in Windows policy

Application Whitelisting
e.g. Carbon Black, Lumension, Ivanti, Applocker

Disabling Legacy Protocols
Neutralize these protocols that ease the way for intruders:  LLMNR, mDNS, NetBIOS, WPAD, and SMBv1

Enforce SMB Signing
To prevent SMB Relay attacks

Microsoft Credential Guard
Microsoft's protection against credential theft with requirements that include Windows 10 Enterprise and TPM 2.0.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Bill Kyrouz

William J. Kyrouz