Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Poll Results Follow Up - Student Workers in SOC

From: "Koppel, Lorna" <Lorna.Koppel () TUFTS EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 21:21:58 +0000

We use student workers and interns actively in our SOC too.  We have them go through an interview process, sign
confidentiality agreements, and train/work with them to get a feel if we can trust them.  We spend a good amount of
time up front discussing their responsibilities and confidentiality, and generally pretty quickly they get same access
and duties as our full-time SOC folks.  We even give them small projects so they can ultimately have items to put on
their resume.   We also bring in CS students to do our code development and integrations. In our case most of the SOC
student workers/interns come from local community colleges.  The Tufts students prefer to do more development and
coding work.

Like others have said, the key is we have procedures and workflows they are expected to follow. They start with smaller
ops work and discuss with us as they go.  As we get more comfortable with their skills and judgment calls, we have them
take on more and more.  If we have a super sensitive investigation, we don’t include the students to do the sticky
analysis work but they might help out with some of the data gathering.

We look at this as a win-win:  Students get real-world experience and perspective; the security community gets more
people who know/appreciate/or even LOVE InfoSec as a career; and we get cost-effective resources with different
perspectives.

Lorna L. Koppel
Director of Information Security
Tufts University
169 Holland Street<x-apple-data-detectors://1/0>
Somerville, MA 02144<x-apple-data-detectors://1/0>
Phone: 617.627.0885
Email: lorna.koppel () tufts edu<mailto:lorna.koppel () tufts edu>

Information Security is Everyone’s Responsibility! Learn more<https://it.tufts.edu/ncsam>.
TTS will NEVER ask for passwords or other personal information via email.
For IT support, contact the TTS Service Desk at 617-627-3376 or it () tufts edu