Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quicklaunch SSO

From: "AJ (Westcliff)" <aj () WESTCLIFF EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 12:32:57 -0400

John,

Security: 4.9/5 stars (I never give anyone 5)

QuickLaunch passed our 3rd party security audit & VPAT.

Their AMFA+SSPR is strong with FTU (first time user) that is very useful for
students to self-onboard.

Customer Service: 4.9/5 stars (I never give anyone 5)

We have a dedicated project manager for implementation that understands
identity, higher ed use cases and higher ed apps

Very responsive on support (so far average response times are sub 10min)

I had posted this earlier on IDM listserv:

*       Has anyone had experience with QuickLaunch SSO?

Yes. It is actually QuickLaunch.io after they added Integration/ESB/iPaaS to
their stack.

*       Was it Good or bad?

Good. The new v7 is very slick. It offers significantly more analytics and
self-service capabilities.

*       If you implemented it, why it and not another solution?

It met all of our requirements and then some. Other solutions we looked at
(we look at approximately 8) did not meet all of our requirements (i.e. Duo)
or were very expensive (i.e. Okta, Microsoft if you add E3 + P1 to compare
apples to apples):

Our Main Requirements:
a. We wanted a solution that could federate our onsite and cloud apps
including student information systems (Banner, AMP), collaboration (Gmail),
learning management system (Moodle) so that students and faculty/staff could
get secure access to the apps that they need.  We selected QuickLaunch
because it met all of our requirements:

b. We wanted a solution that would support multiple protocols such as SAML
2.0, OAuth,  WS- Federation, OpenID Connect, WS-Trust simultaneously so that
we could federate current apps and handle future apps. We wanted a solution
that would support multi-factor authentication to block malicious logins so
that we did not have to purchase a standalone solution like CASDuo (that
does not have full stack identity and access management functionality such
as functionality to automate student/staff onboarding).

c. We wanted a solution that would help reduce help desk service requests by
enabling students and faculty/staff to reset their own passwords. (alot of
our help desk requests are related to password reset).

d. We wanted a solution that could help provision accounts from our student
information system and hr system to various apps so we could more
effectively onboard (and offboard) students and faculty/staff and get them
the right apps, timely.

e. We wanted a solution that supported passwordless.

f. We wanted a solution that was easy to maintain and in the cloud.

g. We wanted an affordable solution. (free or as close to free as possible!)

*       What estimate of man hours was required?

Approximately 25hrs over 2 weeks from our network admin and enterprise apps
team to configure our enterprise apps to federate against the QuickLaunch
IDP.

*       What types of requirements did you gather prior to implementation
and decision to use it?

We spent approximately 6 months defining our requirements for identity and
access management and doing proof-of-concepts prior to implementation and
decision to use QuickLaunch.

Happy to jump on a call.

AJ Greene

CIO