Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Log Retention Policy Suggestions

From: "Powell, Andy" <ap16 () WILLIAMS EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 15:46:07 -0500

Hi Zepu,

  Great question, with many different answers! The most annoying one is
likely: "retain for as long as you need" but to your point of rearview IR,
how long is that?

  PCI DSS typically expects 90 day minimum. I was just reading Crowdstrike
Services Cyber Front Lines Report (released this week, reflecting on 2019)
where they presented this:

  I generally like this structure and would support this, assuming it fits
your business needs and regulatory requirements. In the same report, they
indicate average dwell time has increased from 85 days (2018) up to 95
days, so it's unlikely you'd need to go back 1-2 years for IR, but there
may be cases (like insider/fraud) where having longer history might be
helpful.

  --Andy