Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Uptick in imap attacks on student accounts

From: Jesse Thompson <000000b6da97d697-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 15:44:24 +0000

We saw an uptick from 5-10 per day in December around to about 35 per day starting 12/30.  There is some speculation
that the Zynga breach has something to do with this mild uptick, but it's impossible to prove unless you get access to
the password dump and check them against your local hashes.

Now that we have Duo enabled for employees and students, we primarily shut down accounts based on anomalous IMAP+basic
auth activity.  We tend to shut down the accounts prior to Microsoft alerting via their leaked credentials report,
which leads me to think that they look for similar patterns of behavior to generate their reports.

Another interesting thing to note is that over half of the users have previously been compromised (and we don't allow
users to reset their password back to a prior value).  I think this means that users are reusing their 2nd or 3rd "go
to" password whenever we ask them to pick a new one.  Attackers aren't phased by this, since they commonly already know
these other passwords and can easily spray variants at Microsoft to figure them out.

We're about 1/3 complete with disabling basic auth for our Office 365 population.  When we're complete, we'll no longer
be able to detect compromised passwords using Azure AD anomalous activity.  We'll have to find another means to protect
our remaining single-factor client access protocols.  But it will stop allowing attackers to stuff and spray passwords
against Azure AD.

Jesse Thompson
University of Wisconsin-Madison