Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Lab for Cybersecurity Program

From: "Barton, Robert W." <bartonrt () LEWISU EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 16:14:19 +0000

  *    Is your lab 100% isolated from the rest of the campus and internet? Yes, they have a physically separate Comcast
(Internet) connection and switch/router environment.
     *   If yes, do you have any computer in the room that has internet access?  Yes, provided by Comcast.
     *   If no, explain how you have it segregated?
  *   Do the students just use the computers for the testing or do you have VM's that they can connect into on those
machines?  Mixed environment for all of our Comp Sci area; physical devices, VMs, and virtual lab environment (NetLabs).
     *   If VM's, do you allow those VM's to be accessed remotely or do they need to be physically in that lab to use
those VM's?  There is some access from the outside, but it depends on the environment.  For the forensics class, a
cloud solution was used and access was allowed from off campus for that class.  Remote access is allowed for the
virtual labs.  No access for other environments.
     *   What software/hardware are you using to host those VM's and is that hardware physically in that room or in
another room but on the same network as the lab computers?  We use a local cloud provider for some items.  The virtual
labs are on-site on our equipment (VMWare host/clients).
  *   Amount of ram used on the physical PC's and on a teacher computer if different from student PC's.  Hardware is
only different where justified for the entire University (any changes are designed for specific need only).

Robert W. Barton
Director of Information Security
Lewis University
One University Parkway