Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ResNet wireless Streaming, IoT, and Gaming self-registration

From: "Adam T. Ferrero" <adam () TEMPLE EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 16:25:15 +0000

  We deployed similarly with Aruba Clearpass.  I wish I didn’t use a separate WPA2 Enterprise ResNet SSID and a
separate WPA2 PSK ResNet SSID (students do self register MAC addresses via Clearpass).  Rather, I wished we used logic
inside Clearpass to do the slightly different things for ResNet.  We require an Aruba Onguard agent only in ResNet so
we went separate SSID but we could’ve easily enough done that with logic even on top of eduroam.

  We land them in our student VRF along with all other student networks (labs included).  They have the same outbound
rules that all students do.

  It’s worked well for us because we drove the user experience to be truly self service.  Help Desk tickets are very,
very low (they used to be insane but we solved it).

  Adam