Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Esports

From: "Pete, Andrew" <000000d06e28c017-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 13:41:32 +0000

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the information so far.  We are still working out the design and requirements.  Right now, we are going to
have a dedicated room with approximately a dozen gaming PCs and the ability to connect an auditorium for tournaments.
The dedicated room will also be available for gaming through student activities (PC and console).  Access to the room
will be limited by card and we are going to be using dedicated network gear and ISP connectivity.  We will be putting a
wireless AP in the room for consoles that do not have wired ports (i.e. Nintendo Switch).  So far this is what we are
still trying to work out:

1.      What antivirus solution should we use on the machines?  We are leaning towards using CylanceProtect which we
have deployed throughout the rest of our organization.

2.      How are we going to prevent abuse of the PCs?  I.e. students downloading too many games and filling up drives
or installing software that they should not.  One idea was to leverage Deep Freeze or a similar solution to lock down
the systems.

3.      How are we going to prevent abuse of the dedicated network?  I.e. How do we mitigate against malware on the
network, use of the network for questionable tasks like cryptomining?  We are considering layering various solutions
such as Cisco Umbrella and a next gen firewall with IPS, AV, etc.

4.      Are we going to run into issues with UPnP with some games by using an enterprise firewall which does not
support UPnP?

5.      How are we going to limit access to the wireless network from both an authentication and contention/congestion
standpoint?  We could potentially integrate with our NAC solution but that would require some level of connectivity
between our protection network and this dedicated network.

Based on how our general student population uses/abuses our network, we can't leave this network wide open.  We want to
make sure that whatever security measures we put in place will not impact the intended purpose of the room/network.

Andy

Andrew Pete
Information Security Architect

New England Institute of Technology
One New England Tech Boulevard
East Greenwich, RI 02818-1205
401-780-4460 (Direct)
apete () neit edu<mailto:apete () neit edu>

[NEIT_Full_Stack_H_White_BG_PNG1]