Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fully Erase Hard and Flash Drives

From: "Jones, Justin" <jucjones () IU EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 16:03:44 +0000

Hi Ryan-

In my organization we use gparted to wipe SSDs and flash drives, I have also
used both the shred and dd commands to wipe SSDs and flash drives as well.

sudo shred -v -z /dev/sdX (where X is the letter for the USB drive.)

sudo dd if=dev/urandom of=dev/sdX bs=1M or 512 (where X is the letter for
the USB drive.)

There is also a version of DBAN for purchase that will handle SSDs and flash
drives.   I have also been told to look at the manufacturers website, but I
have never had any luck with that working.

Justin Jones

Vice President for Research IT

Client Support | Hardware | Security

980 Indiana Ave