Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Chegg Data Breach notification (Thanks to HIBP)

From: Brandon Hume <brandon.hume () DAL CA>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 21:23:35 +0000

On 2019-09-23 4:33 p.m., Barton, Robert W. wrote:
If they have done their work in some areas, but not others, the site password should be a hash anyway and thus of
limited (no) use.  Although, if the passwords are kept in a non-encrypted format, I can see where knowing what people
are using for passwords could give you a good idea as to IF they are using good password hygiene/policy.

According to reports the original dump had the passwords in MD5 format, so only one or two steps off from cleartext.
I'm assuming the reason we're seeing this rush now is because some go-getter finally ran it through a rainbow table and
put it out for the rest to swarm.

I can testify that while there's been some weak passwords, I've also seen some very strong passwords taken.  The
quality of the password really doesn't mean much when the attacker sees it clear as day.  The real issue is password
re-use in this case, and that's probably the best direction to take when communicating.

In the meanwhile... what's the high score?  We're closing in on two hundred compromised accounts so far, two of which
showed themselves while I was actually writing this message.

And I have to say... while I've been a "cloud-resistant" individual, I have to admit O365's threat detection heuristics
are really borderline magical.