Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Awareness specifically for Higher Ed?

From: "Lazarus, Carolann" <lazarus () BUFFALO EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 18:58:48 +0000

Hi Cathy.
For those who don't know me, I've been an IT Auditor at the same public institution for 25 years.  Before that I worked
at a banking entity.  The main differences I've seen that might impact training are:

*        A sense of urgency.  At the bank you knew you were protecting $ for customers.  In higher Ed (at least my
institution) it's not as clear what and who you are protecting and what the consequences are.

*        Open - there was an interesting security thread recently on Higher Ed allowing porn sites.  Higher Ed is
usually much more open.  Both faculty and staff probably have access to lots of iffy and scary sites.  Private
corporations can lock down a lot more.  So there needs to be more training on the risks of going to those sites.

*        Research dollars - I've run into many researchers that do whatever they want to do.  Some have been very
concerned with security others not so much.  And of course they want full administrative privileges on their systems.
Frequently they are able to hire their own IT staff.  Making sure they are well versed in security should be a focus.

*        Compliance - In general a lot of the compliance security issues are solved by having non-specific good
security, but corporations don't have FERPA and Financial Aide GLBA.

I'm sure there are others I'm either forgetting or have missed.

Carolann Lazarus
716-829-6947
lazarus () buffalo edu<mailto:lazarus () buffalo edu>