Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security for vendors that manage student data

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 14:34:09 +0000

Our security teams have approval steps in the contracting workflows for particular types of purchases (like IT
services) and purchases cannot complete the process without review and approval. We have a set of standard security
contract language that we insert into agreements with vendors handling university data in general. Typically the
procurement team adds this standard language along with other standard changes to the vendor and once the vendor
returns their redline version, the security team is engaged in the process.

Naturally, this ends up being a negotiation with some back and forth so the language doesn’t end up identical in each
contract.  We also have some additional sections that are added for cases like student data or payment card processing.

We commonly ask for things like a CSA controls matrix, HECVAT, SOC2 or other assertion. Depending on the situation, we
may ask to see copies of security assessments or audits. Our job is to characterize risk for business decision makers
(note that the group making the purchase isn’t always the business decision maker about risk) rather than making the
decision about what vendors to use ourselves.

This is just on the contract side and is separate from security engagement on the design/technology side. Engagement on
that side depends greatly on who is doing the purchasing. We have good tie-ins with the central IT departments and
their project processes, and a solid process around anything involving payment card processing.  In those situations,
we may be directly involved in technical design or design review. However, there’s a lot of room for improvement in
awareness of smaller, departmental initiatives.

Brad Judy

Information Security Officer
Office of Information Security
University of Colorado