Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: [SECURITY] HECVAT and HECVAT lite Threshold

From: "Escue, Charles E" <cescue () IU EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 14:24:18 +0000

Zeshan, Darlene, and others,

It is great to see these questions being asked and hopefully I can shed some light on the current intent of the
scoring. I am a member of the HEISC working group that develops the HECVAT (and more) and can give some background here.

The newly introduced scoring system (found in version 2.00 and later) is an educated-guess baseline set by the working
group just to "start somewhere". The question- and section-based scoring will be assessed over the next year and
adjusted as needed - these changes will be driven by the community so feedback is welcome! Come to EDUCAUSE conferences
and come speak with the working group and others in the community - there are many of us doing this same thing and we
want to help!

At this point, we do not really know the baseline of “good” - it could be 80, 70, or even a lower score, depending on
your use case of the product/service/platform. The “passing score” is based on the use case of the data being shared
and the risk tolerance of your organization. This is still a subjective part of the process and will always be. That
said, the working group is working to better document the how/what/why’s of the HECVAT process to better assist the
community with its adoption.

Over time, we (as in the royal we) can begin to compare the scores across vendors and adjust our expectations and/or
scoring as needed.  Right now, the scoring provides a quick snapshot of the products security state that helps analysts
prioritize their follow-up question and/or research.

At Indiana University, we use the analyst-populated Analyst Report score as the starting point of assessment, not just
the score that comes straight from the vendor. There are some questions in the Lite and Full versions of the HECVAT
that must remain qualitative in nature, so the Analyst Report tab provides a mechanism to convert the qualitative value
to a quantitative value - that is what it was designed for. Once the Analyst Report values are populated by your
institution's reviewer (analyst), the actual “base score” is revealed. At that point, deficient areas of security are
further scrutinized by the analysts.

One tip: HECVAT questions are not equally valued by every institution. What is acceptable by one institution may not be
for another, based on their risk tolerance and their institutions data classifications. Because of that, it will be
difficult to define commodity “passing scores” that are useful for all institutions, but we can try!

Charlie

Charles Escue, CISSP, GCIH
Manager, Extended Information Security
University Information Security Office